Sunday, August 26, 2007

Day 56: Big Rebound

This last weekend, I ate, drank and was merry - and I have the weight gain to show it. As is customary for me, I threw myself off the diet for the length of the social occasion in question and am now back on, now that a normal schedule has been restored. I ate, drank and was merry from Friday night to Sunday morning, with a big "blow-out" on Saturday night - and now I have to repair the consequences.

This brings up an interesting question. Many people drink, but few are chronic drunks. That's because "social drinking" is socialized: beyond the Saturday night beer bust, the social drinker drinks little. This convention helps keep many drinkers from becoming drunks.

It's true that food does not have the same effect as alcohol; far from it. Also, food is a necessary for life, and alcohol really isn't. This difference, though, applies to food in general; it doesn't apply to specific foods.

There are already certain kinds of foods that are both delicious and deemed unhealthy if eaten chronically: corn syrup is a recent example. Foods of this sort do form a parallel with alcohol, with the noticeable exception of the hangover or lack of, and thus open themselves up to socializing in a similar manner. In fact, they can be mixed together.

It's true that a Saturday night "Sat Fat Fried Chicken And Beer Party" sounds a little odd, but it might not be if the dieting trend becomes general. People need a break, after all, and most are quite capable of indulging moderately but not excessively. With respect to alcohol, we've known it for decades (if not centuries or millenia.)

[If you're interested: a six-pack pulled me through the entire weekend; yes, I am a cheap drunk. Also: while I was choring away in the rain yesterday, I slipped and ripped the front closer out of my tight pants; I also ripped a little skin off a knuckle. Word from the slipped: if you spring for a new wardrobe in a lower and tighter size, save your old wardrobe for active days and use the newer stuff for dresswear until they're loose on you. Tailors cost.]


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today, after yesterday's hiatus: 223 pounds.

No comments: