Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Day 44: Heavier and Hungrier

Last night, I bumped into a dormant but well-established habit re-asserting itself. Before this entire experiment began, I used to eat a moderate-sized meal in the morning or early afternoon, and then sent myself off to sleep with a huge dinner. As last night wore on, I begame hungrier and hungrier, even though I was sticking to the same level of calorie restriction that I've become used to.

Evidently, the shape, as well as the look and feel, of my body at its present weight has triggered an unconscious expectation that I can go back to the old eating habits. So, here's the word: if, like me, you're shrinking your weight down from an unusually high level, you will encounter a tug of hunger once you get down to a long-established weight level. It'll kick in at the time(s) when you had usually eaten big. If that level is above where you want to be, then an extra challenge awaits once your diet takes you to it.

Ironically, this hunger resumption occurred during a time when I managed to gain a pound from yesterday. At the consumption level I'm at, I estimate that I should be shedding - if I were a reliable input-output machine, which no living person is - about 1/2 pound/day. Even though I've stuck at the same weight I had been at four days ago, it hasn't quite been long enough for me to call it a plateau this time. If I'm still at the same weight (or more) tomorrow, I'll pull out a special variant of the Plateau Buster which tests whether or not it'll work with non-sugary foods.


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: 226 pounds.

No comments: