Monday, July 9, 2007

Day 8: Plateau Management

This last day, I've hit the first plateau since starting the diet. I didn't lose a pound over the last twenty-four hours, and it cannot be ascribed to guzzling water because I haven't downed that much today. And yet, I haven't really lost heart.

Here's why: first of all, I'm comfortable with my weight, so I've calmed away any sense of desperation. I knew it would be a long haul - a self-estimated 2-3 months - so the lack of weight loss on one day isn't that big a tragedy. Part of this attitude is regarding any daily weight drop of more than a pound to be either a windfall or the result of tailing back on the fluid consumption (plus frequent visits to the "water closet," including at sleeptime.)

The second reason comes thanks to an adaptation of a technique left here by "mk" in a comments section. He said that he had drank a lot of water while pulling his weight down; I've been doing so too thanks to him sharing his success story. In addition, though, I've been using water to manage the plateau effect before it happens. Here's how: when my weight takes a dive, I drink more water. When the weight is stuck at a certain level, or is going up, I scale back. By doing so, I'm self-plateauing through using weighty, but calorie-free, water.

I'm controlling the plateauing effect through doing this. Hence, when I hit a real plateau, I'm not left feeling helpless or desperate.

This practice may only be a control ritual, but it seems to work, at least in easing a think-through for the reasons why I haven't lost a pound over the last day. The answer is that my metabolism is slowing down, without a compensatory increase in task pressure to offset the lassitude yesterday. A weekend slowdown, which should vanish now that the weekdays are back.


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: 250 pounds again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here are some tips:

The less caloric intake reduces metabolism as the body goes into 'hibernate' mode. Two ways to solve this:

1) Exercise
2) Instead of three meals a day/ break the same amount of food into 5 meals per day - eating every couple hours. This increases the bodies ability to burn fat.

Two ways to supress appetite in addition to water are:

1) Add low fat/calorie protien shake to your water - protien reduces appetites in and of itself - as well the mass provided from the mix reduces hunger.

2) Drink a black coffee in the morning after your first meal as it will supress your appetite.

In sum: there is a fine balance between not having enough calories to the extent your body 'shuts down' in order to preserve the energy and ensuring your eating enough keep the body burning fat at optimal levels.

Keep up the good work - you can do it!

-mk

Daniel M. Ryan said...

Thanks for the further tips, especially the 5-meal one, That's something I should try.

The low-cal protein shake is something I had never thought of. You may get a smile out of this: I'm already a veteran coffee drinker.

Also, thanks much for the encouragement.

- Daniel