Sunday, July 22, 2007

Day 21: Social Outings

Here's the question that's facing me: what do you do if you're invited to a dinner with non-dieters and are on a diet? The ideal choice is to say that you're on a diet and ask for a minimal portion. What if such a choice is impracticable, though, if only because it isn't customary in such a gathering to use a calorie counter?

Afer thinking it over, I came up with three choices:

1) Decline the invitation, citing either the diet or a diet-related reason as the regrets;
2) Show up, but say "I'm on a diet, so I might be sending some food back;"
3) Show up and eat the regular portion, or up to the point where you're stuffed to the gills. If anyone looks strangely at you (being stuffed shows,) reply "well, I am on a diet." This option requires the decision to take yourself off the diet for the length of the meal.

I'm facing such an outing and I've decided to go with the third choice, with this added extra: I haven't eaten for about twenty hours. It was interesting doing so, because I've been long habituated to going to sleep on a full stomach. Late last night - actually, during the wee hours of the morning, as I've become a night owl - I fell asleep on an empty stomach.

It ties in with the recent variation I've tried to experiment on: scaling down the number of meals, and increasing the average calorie content of each, in order to trick my body into speeding up the metabolism a little. It would be reasonable to conclude that I saw this one coming yesterday...


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: despite having gone into temporary starvation mode, my weight's gone up slightly to 240 pounds. For me, the 240 level has proven to be quite the plateau.

No comments: