Friday, July 20, 2007

Day 19: Coping With Disappointment

Yesterday, for the first time in the course of this diet, my weight notched up by more than a pound. You may be interested in my reaction to this disappointment: I went straight to the water mug. Put in words, I decided, "if I'm going to bloat up, I might as well bloat up a little more with some [zero-calorie] water." A more detached viewer would conclude that I'm trying to take control of my setbacks.

There's a variation on this technique thanks to the proliferation of zero-calorie drinks. One flavor of diet soda can be labeled - ironically, I hope - as a "sulk soda." It would take the place of water for anyone who wants to take control of their own setbacks in the same manner as I did last night. Water is zero-calorie, but it lacks a commiserative taste. Many zero calorie drinks have a taste that can aid in salving this kind of disappointment.

As for yesterday's weight gain, it does look like fluid gain.


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: 240 pounds. I now rate, though perhaps temporarily, an up in the calorie consumption to 1000 calories/day, as specified by the table in this earlier entry.

No comments: