Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day 11: Counting and Miscounting

This afternoon, I was reviewing the calorie count for my shifted menu, and began wondering if I had overcounted. Instead of shrugging it off, I felt anxious about having (possibly) gone over the 850 calorie/day ceiling.

It's moments of uncertainty like this which test whether or not you're ready for a diet, as well as what stage of the diet you belong in. Shrugging it off, with a what-may-be-done-is-done attitude, may be the best reaction if you go back to the diet regimen subsequently. It implies that you're used to the diet, are relatively happy following it, and thus have less need of a routine. Of course, if being carefree proves to be the preface to a slippery slope, this reaction can be the worst. The best way to distinguish between the two is to watch yourself when it comes time to draw the line again.

My own reaction - anxiety - shows that my attitude has shifted to diet-favouring but I'm not quite comfortable with life as a dieter as yet.

Panicking isn't a good sign. Had I panicked, I might have wondered later if I had been pushing myself too hard. Had my answer been "yes," I would have felt entitled to a compensatory lackadasicalness for mental health purposes. That would not have been the best direction to go, even if I had refrained, because I would be associating the diet with unadulterated pain and sacrifice. This self-punishment would make it harder for me to stay in the diet. It would also put me at the mercy of the scale, which (as I've disclosed earlier) wanders from day to day, and not always in the right direction.


(Note on the dumbbell exercise: it does work fairly well as a sleep aid, at least for the first night spent lugging it up and down.)


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: a flat 248 pounds. I'm back in trend.

No comments: