Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Day 3: Surmounting The Catch-22

Like many dieters, I've used a small but tasty portion of food as a meal in order to make the dieting process less unpleasant. Unfortunately, doing so leads to a certain catch-22: the body interpreting the meal as an appetizer. The net result if that you're just as hungry, if not hungrier, a short time after the meal. (This effect has been made the centrepiece of a diet, which I've described in this entry.)

It's really a catch-22. In order to avoid it completely, the meals have to be insipid as well as low in calories, which makes a tough regimen even worse. One way around it is to vary your meals, substituting one tasty low-calorie dish for another, but the runaround involved lasts only as long as there are different foods available that qualify. In the long term, this dodge encourages you to yo-yo diet.

Another trick, which I haven't tried, is to fill your stomach with near-zero-calorie bulk food after the induced hunger pains start - something like cabbage or carrots. Since I haven't tried it, I can't comment on it; I can only offer this observation: if you want to shrink your stomach as well as lose weight, this approach won't help with the former goal.

It looks like the only option is just to plow through, to the point where the appetizer reflex fades away. These reactions are unconscious habits; like all others, they can be lost.

Besides...there's always tasty water.


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: this may be due to me drinking less fluids yesterday, but it's now 255 pounds.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's approx.10:35 on July 5th and no word from you on your Trial blog. I am now reduced to checking out Google News to get my info. Are you OK? or are you getting too weak to type. Please, eat a bagle and get back to work :-)

Daniel M. Ryan said...

Hi, Nala. It's been filled up in the meantime.

(Actually, if you're interested, I've been cocking an ear towards TV news channels during the day. From day to day, it's been a toss-up between the TV and Mark Steyn as to who's first with the news.)

The bagel idea sounds tempting, but I've been squeezed recently. In fact, in the midst of writing this reply, I just remembered that I forgot to eat my second meal of the day.

Daniel M. Ryan said...

Also to Nala: If you didn't see an entry entitled "Media Roundup: Resumption" today, try hitting the Refresh button on your browser. It may have cached an old version of the page.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for not forgetting us....I rely on you, Skurka and Steyn for all my early morning "Black News"...don't get to the TV much during the day.

As for your diet....I continue to worry. I hope you have increased your calorie intake (the faster the weight comes off, the faster it will find you again).....And, at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, don't forget those fruits and veggies. ;-)

Daniel M. Ryan said...

Nice advice.

By the way: for some reason, the E-mail notification for this particular blog is kaput. That's why it took me so long to respond.

Anonymous said...

What I have also noticed, is that the time of the post is incorrect...For example, I wrote yesterday around 10:33 am and it shows 7:33 am. Do have any control over that? Not a big deal...just something I noticed.

Daniel M. Ryan said...

I changed the settings to the proper time zone, Nala. I hope it works...