Thursday, July 26, 2007

Day 25: A "Whups" From The Other Side

This afternoon, I bumped into a mistake I had made in my calorie-counting. I thought that a kind of chicken strip carried with it a count of 250 calories for one of them. Today, the count seemed suspiciously large for its the size, so I dug the box from the near-bottom of the recycling bin and found out that I was inaccurate: it's 250 for three of them.

This kind of mistake is the one to watch for if you're wondering whether or not you're riding on the diet track. If you underestimate in memory the calories of your menu, then you still have to watch yourself. If you overestimate, then congrats: at some level, you're committed to your diet.

Testing yourself and finding resolve does have a benefit: you can play around with your menu while still observing your daily constraint. When the hunger got too much for me last night, I pulled out one of those (now-old) licorice sticks that I last touched twelve days ago. The one I ate was a little stale, which is something that I would like to brag about...even if doing so is like bragging about a fine set of used clothes that just came in.

Once again, though, I put myself on trial last night. Had I slipped, it would have been back to more self-watching, and perhaps other steps to tighten my menu had I slipped badly. I have found, though, that self-understanding does a dieter good. Even the consequent risk of pulling out of the diet entirely has its silver lining - not losing your sense of self-realism when doing so.


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: 236 pounds.

No comments: