Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Day 24: Belt-Notch Variations

One interesting aspect of dieting, if you have a self-absorbed side, is to watch your body change shape in unusual ways. Since about a week ago, I've varied in the notch I buckle my belt to. Sometimes, I can get it all the way up to the sixth notch with little discomfort and no soreness; when I do so, my belly bulges out. At other times, I can only hitch it up to the fifth notch, and doing so leaves a tight fit. When the fifth notch is all I can reach, though, my belly is considerably flatter relative to my hips and rib cage.

Yes, the "body plentiful" puts on an interesting show when you're burning the fat in it. [Addendum: I seem to be "stuck on six" as of now.]

Speaking of fat-burning: as I should have expected, the transition from a "false ending" phase of the diet to the resumption of five snack-sized meals, with the same total of 1000 calories/day, has brought back the continual hunger. I find such hunger easier to endure because of a mind trick that's generally a psychological no-no: "disowning" the feeling of hunger.

What this means is, detaching yourself from it. Dis-ownership of a feeling means relieving yourself of the responsibility of acting on it, of taking the go-passive option when it sends its signal. Normally, this means disarranging your unconscious somewhat, but going "passive" with respect to hunger feelings while on a diet means that you ignore the feelings in favor of the calorie-count schedule. Hunger just becomes something to be endured. I've found that going passive in this way - with respect to hunger feelings - adds to staying on the track.


Weight as of approx. 6 PM today: 238 pounds.

No comments: