Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Big Burger - A Warning

I've been so busy the last couple of days, I've almost forgotten to eat. In order to make up for the time squeeze, I tried to adapt an idea which came from a restaurant that serves a 10-pound burger. The tab for it is $200 - unless you can eat it within two hours, in which case it's on the house.

Trust me: this challenge is pretty durn challenging. As a veer-towards, I cooked up four 1-lb burgers, with a corresponding helping of fries. After an hour's worth of eating, I could only choke down three of them plus the fries. That's 3 lbs of fried beef, plus bun bread and fries.

I don't have a small stomach, and it has been stretched in the last little while. And yet, had I seen my gut as being up to the challenge, I would have been less than a third of the way through by the end of the first hour. By the end of the second, I would have had most of it left, ready for a nice big doggie bag, and a bill for two hundred bucks.

Word to the food-ambitious: if you're thinking of going for that challenge, try it at home first. It's a lot harder than it seems.


Weight before bumping into the eyes-stomach problem: 242 pounds. I'm back up to where I was.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

4.5 months ago I was 245lbs. I realized I was way over-weight and needed to get my ass in shape. Now I'm 205 lbs. Here is how I did it:

I eliminated all fatty foods, salts, reduced red meat, grease, carbs. I added: non fat milk, fake sugars, chicken/fish/rice, saltless butter, lots of water, veggies/fruits, drank protein shakes twice a day.

Excercise:

I have never been a runner in my life, I barely could go 3 mins before I'd stop. I made my self run everyday on the treadmill untill I could do 30 mins straight going 6mph (and I'm not a runner). This part is the hardest - its all about forcing yourself to do it.

I barely did any weights when I first started (now I am gradually doing more now that I've lost the fat). I just ran, ran, and ran some more.

Other tips:

Switching things like using non-fat milk and fake sugar in your coffee will do wonders; reducing sugars is a huge helper. Instead of a soda, drink a diet soda - but not too much. Reduce beer intake, pub foods, burgers, etc.

Also, I drank a tonne of water: at least 2-4 litrs a day. When you dont drink enough water the body retains it and it causes you to be puffy - drinking regularly lets the body release excess as it knows its getting it on a regular basis.

After a couple weeks of restricting your diet and running you will start to see the weight decrease, furthermore you won't be as hungry as your body is burning more calories resulting in an increased metabolism. After a while you look at greasy foods and consider the weight you lost and are likely to prefer to lose weight rather than eat un healthy.

I did this with determination and I lost 40'lbs. Its not impossible, it takes work and dedication, but after running and eating healthy for 30 days, it will then be a part of your routine and will feel guilty if you get out of it.

Thats my story. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Ok I just re-read the rest of your blog and found out that your goal is to gain as much weight by July 1st so that you can then try and get down to 200 LBS?

Daniel M. Ryan said...

Yes it is, and thanks for your comments. The reaon why I'm fattening myself up is to go through a similar experience to yours: dieting, sticking to it, and sharing what's been learned from the experience. I figured that I wouldn't have much to pass on myself if I had started at the 225 lbs that I was.

Thanks for the success story, mk, and long may you stay at around 200 lbs. (unless you gain weight from muscle growth.)