Monday, June 25, 2007

Thoughts on Weight Gain

A little more than 24 hours ago, I saw that I had shot through the 240ish pound plateau. I weighed myself this evening and got 255 pounds, although I've recently gotten as high as a full 260 pounds. As July approaches, the imminence of the diet phase is beginning to sink in.

Based upon my own experience, I suspect that there are two reasons why it's so easy to gain weight over a long period of time: not only the plateauing effect, but also a disconnect between weight and body expansion. When I weighed in at 238 lbs, I had my belt on three notches from the beginning. I still do, and still had even when at 260 lbs. Not only that, I'm still wearing the same pants that I wore when 220-230 lbs.

The feedback betweeen a full stomach, weight change and body-size change in the parts of the body you notice is just too irregular to give any consistent warning. That's why it's so easy to go with the metabolism-boost effect and ignore the consequences. (It's hard to avoid a parallel with gambling, to be candid about this.)

With regard to my intake: I tried the 4 lbs of burger again, and came up short again, although this time I only left part of the last bun behind. As mentioned above, my weight was 255 lbs.before stretching my stomach in this way.

No comments: